Product-focused engineer, creative coder. Makes maps and clouds.
I am a software engineer with more than 10 years of experience with building all sort of things. I am very product focused: I believe on the importance of reasearching what users want and what others are doing before investing time and money to build new software.
I am a big supporter of rapid prototyping as a way to test feasibility and assumptions and to estimate projects.
HTML5, CSS, Less, Sass
SQL, MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, DynamoDB
Git, SVN, Jenkins, Ansible, Puppet, Grunt, Gulp, Vagrant
Engineering Manager Cloud Services at HERE
June 2015 → Present
Leading an engineering team (Node.js, Android and iOS) that is working on making maps smarter and more personal.
Responsible for driving engineering and product decisions to deliver innovative cloud services to business customers and consumers.
Solution Architect at HERE, a Nokia company
August 2014 → June 2015
Leading external and internal development teams ensuring high quality standards and working with internal stakeholders and external partners to define technical approaches and requirements for several outsourced projects.
Hands-on support (build tools, CI setup, etc.) during the implementation of web and mobile applications.
Selecting technology stacks for HERE web & mobile projects and prototyping solutions.
Senior engineer, Dev Lead at HERE, a Nokia company
September 2013 → July 2014
Full stack software developer, architect, rapid prototyper, android developer and lead engineer.
Led a team of Android engineers that contributed to the first release of HERE Maps.
Senior Engineer at HERE, a Nokia company
November 2011 → August 2013
Research associate at IHMC
May 2008 → November 2011
Designed and developed a number of web and iOS applications as lead engineer and front-end developer.
Collaborated on several research efforts in related to network communication protocols, wireless networks, cross-layer frameworks, service discovery strategies and Service Oriented Architectures.
Designed and implemented federation strategies and Quality-of-Service monitoring for tactical information managements systems in collaboration with BBN Technologies, Boeing and the Air Force Research Lab.
Coauthored several conference and journal publications.
Student intern at IHMC
July 2007 → April 2008
Worked on strategies for providing service discovery and resources exploitation capabilities for Mobile Ad-hoc Networks (MANET) and other peer-to-peer environments.
Gained experience with network protocol design and development, service discovery techniques and peer-to-peer frameworks with particular focus on MANETs.
Usable Security (Coursera - University of Maryland, College Park)
This course focuses on how to design and build secure systems with a human-centric focus. Starting from the basic principles of human-computer interaction, these insights are applied to the design of secure systems with the goal of developing security measures that respect human performance and their goals within a system.
Maps and the Geospatial Revolution (Coursera - The Pennsylvania State University)
This course is about how advances in geospatial technology and analytical methods have changed how we do everything, and teaches how to make maps and analyze geographic patterns using the latest tools.
MS in Computer Science and Engineering at Università di Ferrara
September 2005 ➞ March 2008
Thesis: “Resource Exploitation and Service Discovery Capabilities for MANET Environments”.
BS in Computer Science and Engineering at Università degli Studi di Padova
October 2001 ➞ September 2005
- Italian: Native Speaker
- English: Full Professional Proficiency
- Cañas, A., Carff, R., Marcon, M., “Knowledge Model Viewers For The iPad And The Web”, CMC 2012.
- Suri, N., Uszok, A., Lenzi, R., Marcon, M., Breedy, M., Bradshaw, J.M., Fu, Y., Hanna, J., Combs, V., Sinclair, A., Grant, R., Hillman, R., “Extending Net‐Centricity to Coalition Operations”, KSCO 2010.
- Suri, N., Marcon, M., Uszok, A., Breedy, M., Bradshaw, J.M., Carvalho, M., Hanna, J., Hilman, R., Combs, V., Sinclair, A., “A Dynamic and Policy-Controlled Approach to Federating Information Systems”, MILCOM 2010.
- Suri, N., Carvalho, M., Ansaloni, D., Arguedas, M., Benincasa, G., Benvegnù, E., Bradshaw, J.M., Breedy, M., Choy, S., Kovach, J., Marcon, M., Quitadamo, R., Rebeschini, M., Tokarcik, L., Tortonesi, M., Winkler, R., “Agile Computing and Its Applications to Tactical Military Environments”, Book chapter for “ADVANCED DECISION ARCHITECTURES FOR THE WARFIGHTER: Foundations and Technology”, 2009.
- Loyall, J., Gillen, M., Sinclair, A., Carvalho, M., Bunch, L., Marcon, M., Martignoni, A., “Quality of Service in Us Air Force Information Management Systems”, MILCOM 2009.
- Suri, N., Uszok, A., Bradshaw, J.M., Breedy, M., Carvalho, M., Hanna, J., Hutcheson, T., Marcon, M., Sinclair, A., “Supporting Federated Information Spaces With the Joint Battlespace Infosphere (JBI) Platform”, KSCO 2009.
- Suri, N., Marcon, M., Quitadamo, R., Rebeschini, M., Arguedas, M., Stabellini, S., Tortonesi, M., Stefanelli, C., “An Adaptive and Efficient Peer-To-Peer Service-Oriented Architecture for Manet Environments With Agile Computing”, ACNM 2008.